Tornado of change in college athletics
The seismic shift in the college sports landscape has my head swimming faster than Michael Phelps.
Where is your school going? If it’s staying put, who is it gonna play every year that you’ve never seen before? Are you ready to hate a new school as much as you hate the ones already in your conference?
[picapp align=”right” wrap=”true” link=”term=Sports&iid=9091099″ src=”http://view1.picapp.com/pictures.photo/image/9091099/university-nebraska-moves/university-nebraska-moves.jpg?size=500&imageId=9091099″ width=”380″ height=”244″ /]I’m a Northwestern alum, and I’m sort of underwhelmed by the addition of Nebraska to the Big Ten, to be honest. I’m pleased to add a basketball program that the Wildcats need not fear, and I think the Purple is ready to stand toe to toe with the Huskers on the gridiron (that’s Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini in the photo).
I kind of figured on the league bumping up to 14 or even 16 teams, though. I guess that’s the nature of most of my disappointment. Instead, it looks like the Pac-10 will steal that thunder by adding a bunch of schools from the suddenly crumbling Big 12.
I have a lot of questions about all of this stuff, but not many answers. If you’ve got any, please respond in the comments.
- Why is Texas seemingly so panicked by the departures of Nebraska and Colorado? The Longhorns still are in a 10-team league in which they unquestionably are the big dog. UT in the Pac-10 makes no sense at all. Neither will trips to Pullman, Wash., or Corvallis, Ore. , in times when money is tight.
- Which team will be the 16th for the Pac-10? With Colorado already committing and Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State perhaps close, that’s 15. Surely that won’t be the final number.
- Why hasn’t the Big 12 been more aggressive? Couldn’t it have been at the ready to invite TCU and somebody else?
- What happens to Texas A&M, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor if Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State really do bolt for the Pac-10?
- Does the SEC really want Texas A&M? And if so, why? At this point that’s like adding another Mississippi State.
- If you were heading up the SEC, wouldn’t you stand pat before adding Big 12 leftovers? “Mom, is there any meatloaf left in the fridge?”
- Why did the Big Ten stop at just one school?
- Why did the Big Ten move up its timetable to get Nebraska in the league to 2011 instead of 2012? I’ve got a theory on this one, and the Big Ten should pay me for this idea if it hasn’t already thought of it. HOLD TWO GAMES FOR EVERY WEEKEND ON THE 2011 SCHEDULE AND PLAY THEM ON SUNDAYS AT 1 AND 4 EASTERN. IT’S NOT LIKE THERE WILL BE ANY NFL GAMES WITH WHICH TO COMPETE. THINK OF THE RATINGS FOR THOSE GAMES.
- Is the Big East really going to survive intact? Anyone see that coming?
- Can you explain Boise State leaving the Western Athletic Conference for the Mountain West Conference? It’s like trading a bowl of Special K for some oatmeal.
Yep, now there are some head-scratchers. Add your own or gimme some answers.
Oh, and screw Nebraska.